Showing posts with label zombies. Show all posts
Showing posts with label zombies. Show all posts

Friday, November 1, 2013

Man who ranted about zombies shot and killed by California homeowner

By Dana Feldman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A California man shot dead after breaking into a young family's suburban home over the weekend had ranted about zombies hours before he showed up screaming threats in their backyard and smashed into their house, authorities said on Monday.

The Orange County Sheriff's department said that 22-year-old Paul Michael Bracamontes was killed in the affluent community of Yorba Linda by a homeowner who awoke before dawn on Sunday to find him screaming in the backyard.

The homeowner, whose wife and infant were inside the house, shot Bracamontes after he broke in through a glass door before police were able to respond to an emergency call, authorities said.

"He was making threats to harm the homeowners and said that there were five more people out front that were going to harm them," Lieutenant Jeff Hallock of the Orange County Sheriff's Department said. "We're sure those other people didn't exist."

Hallock said the man's relatives told authorities that he had been hallucinating at a party on Saturday evening and had made several "inappropriate" comments about zombies to a family member.

"He indicated that he needed or wanted a gun before leaving the party," Hallock said. "The next thing they knew, he was gone and that was the last they heard or saw of him."

Hallock would not say how many shots were fired but confirmed the gun used was registered to the homeowner, who he said was "very upset" about the incident. Authorities said the homeowner would not be charged because he acted in self defense.

Authorities were looking into whether drugs or alcohol may have been involved. Hallock could not say if Bracamontes had a history of mental illness. The couple told deputies they did not know Bracamontes.

The Los Angeles Times reported that Orange County Superior Court records show that Bracamontes was charged with public intoxication in January 2013, but the case was dismissed in April.

(Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Lisa Shumaker)

Crime & JusticeSociety & Culture

View the original article here

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Calif. man who said he fled zombies pleads guilty

TEMECULA, Calif. (AP) — A Tennessee man who stole a big-rig truck in California, caused several accidents and told investigators he was fleeing zombies when he did it has pleaded guilty to several felonies.

U-T San Diego (http://bit.ly/17Yg8VO ) reports Jerimiah Hartline pleaded guilty Monday to assault with a deadly weapon, hit-and-run causing death or injury, and vehicle theft. He could get five years in prison.

The California Highway Patrol says Hartline stowed away in the truck in Tennessee and stole it when the driver got out at roadside scales near Temecula, Calif.

The CHP says after Hartline caused several crashes, the big-rig overturned on Interstate 15 and spilled its load of strawberries.

Seven people were injured.

CHP investigators say Hartline told them he had to speed and swerve because he was fleeing from the walking dead.

___

Information from: U-T San Diego, http://www.utsandiego.com


View the original article here

Saturday, April 13, 2013

More than 300,000 homes are foreclosed "zombies," study says

By Barbara Liston


ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - A national survey found 301,874 "zombie" properties dotting the U.S. landscape in which homeowners in foreclosure have moved out, leaving vacant property susceptible to vandalism and degradation.


Florida tops the list of zombie properties with 90,556 vacant homes in foreclosure, according to a foreclosure inventory released on Thursday by RealtyTrac, a real estate information company in Irvine, California.


Illinois and California ranked a distant second and third with 31,668 and 28,821 zombie properties respectively on the list.


The number of homes overall in foreclosure or bank-owned rose by 9 percent to 1.5 million properties nationally in the first quarter of 2013 compared to a year ago, according to RealtyTrac.


Another 10.9 million homeowners nationwide remain at risk because they owe more than their property is worth, according to company vice president Daren Blomquist.


RealtyTrac for the first time analyzed data on zombie properties after a Reuters' special report in January examined the special problem of zombie titles, Blomquist said.


Reuters revealed the plight of people who walked away from their homes not realizing that their names remained on the deed and that they were financially liable for taxes and other bills related to the abandoned property.


In some cases, homeowners vacated after receiving a notice from the bank of a planned foreclosure sale, only to find out later the bank never followed through.


Zombie properties can be easy to spot as they deteriorate into neighborhood eyesores and havens for criminal activity.


While Florida leads in volume of zombie properties, Kentucky, with less than 1,000 zombie properties, leads in percentage, with zombies representing 54 percent of its total foreclosure inventory, Blomquist said.


Zombies in Washington, Indiana, Nevada and Oregon also constitute 50 percent or more of the properties in foreclosure, according to the report.


Blomquist said the number of zombie properties could be higher than represented in the RealtyTrac report, which used a conservative methodology.


In Florida, for example, the company does not count any property that has been in foreclosure longer than the state average of 853 days and for which there has been no significant recent activity. The report also does not take into account cases in which a bank chose not to follow through on a foreclosure judgment, leaving the property in limbo.


Blomquist said the long average time to complete a foreclosure case in Florida likely contributes to the high number of zombie properties, as people give up hope over time and walk away.


Blomquist said the findings overall show a housing recovery is under way but not yet deeply rooted.


"I think the empty foreclosures is less of a long-term threat but it certainly is affecting individual communities and neighborhoods," Blomquist said.


According to the Reuters special report, municipalities are left to deal with the mess when people move out after receiving a notice of a planned foreclosure sale that the bank then cancels.


Some spend public funds on securing, cleaning and stabilizing houses that generate no tax revenue. Others let the houses rot.


Unsuspecting homeowners have had their wages garnished, their credit destroyed and their tax refunds seized. They've opened their mail to find bills for back taxes, graffiti-scrubbing services, demolition crews, trash removal, gutter repair, exterior cleaning and lawn clipping.


In some cities, people with zombie titles can be sentenced to probation, with the threat of jail if they don't bring their houses into compliance.


(Editing by Jane Sutton and Chris Reese)


View the original article here

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Broadcasters blame zombies hack password easy

(Reuters)-poor password security allowed hackers to send a bogus warning on television that the United States was under attack by zombie, broadcasters, he said, and an expert in technology, said the emergency channel broke into remained vulnerable.

The attacks Monday on a handful of stations prompted the Government to order broadcasters to change passwords for the equipment used by the authorities to immediately push out emergency transmissions through what is known as the emergency alert system, or EAS.

The FCC did not want to comment on the attacks, but urgent advice posted by television stations on Tuesday, the Agency said: "all EAS participants are required to take immediate action".

Instructed them to change passwords on equipment from all manufacturers that emergency forces broadcasts on television networks, interrupting regular programming. It instructed them to make sure that the gear was protected behind firewalls and also inspect systems for ensuring that hackers had no tail "unauthorized alerts" for future transmission.

The attacks came at a time when officials and external security experts are warning that the United States is at risk of a cyber attack that could cause serious injury or even cost lives. President Barack Obama told Congress that some hackers are looking for ways to attack the United States power grid, banks and air traffic control systems.

While the zombie hoax seemed to be rather harmless, the fact that hackers could easily sent an emergency message showed that they are able to wreak havoc with communications more alarming.

"It's not what he said. Is the fact that they got in the system. They could have caused any real damage, "says Karole White, President of the Michigan Association of Broadcasters.

White and its equivalent in Montana, Greg MacDonald, said he believed that hackers were able to get because the stations had not changed the default password that they used when they shipped from the manufacturer.

"Zombie" hackers targeted two stations in Michigan and several in California, Montana and New Mexico, said White.

A male voice addressed viewers in a video posted on the Internet of fake warning broadcast by KRTV in Great Falls, Montana, an affiliate CBS: "civilian authorities in your area have reported that the bodies of the dead are rising from the grave and attacking life."

The voice warned "not to approach or catch these bodies as they are extremely dangerous."

STILL VULNERABLE

Larry Estlack, President of the Michigan Emergency Alert System, told Reuters that passwords sometimes not getting changed because EAS uses equipment that are not easy to configure.

"Some people have trouble getting through the setup procedure. Is quite complex, "he said.

But Mike Davis, a hardware security experts with a firm known as IOActive Labs, said that there were other ways to remotely access to systems that allow hackers to skip verification of the password even if they have been modified.

Davis said that he had submitted a report to the u.s. Department of Homeland Security's Computer Emergency Readiness Team, or US-CERT, about a month ago that detailed security flaws in EAS equipment that warned make it vulnerable to attack.

"Changing passwords is insufficient to prevent unauthorized remote access. There are still more undisclosed authentication exclusions, "told Reuters via email. "I would recommend disconnecting them from the network until a fix is available.

Davis said he was able to use the search engine Google Inc. to identify some 30 who believed that systems were vulnerable to attack from Wednesday morning.

With US-CERT officials could not be reached.

Bill Robertson, vice President of the privately held electronic electronics Lyndonville Monroe, New York, told Reuters that his company's equipment had been compromised at least some of the attacks after hackers gained access to their default passwords.

Monroe publishes the default password for the equipment manuals that can be consulted on its Web site.

Robertson said he believed that the attackers had been able to access the devices via the Internet because television stations had not properly secured the equipment behind walls of fire, which is what I recommend to Monroe.

"The devices were not really locked down right. They were exposed, "he said.

He said the company is working to reinforce safety on equipment and may update the software so that it forces customers to change their default passwords.

"They were compromised because the door was left open. It was just like saying ' Walk in the door, ' "he said.

Spokesman for the Federal Emergency Management Agency Dan Watson said the breach did not have any impact on the Government's ability to activate the emergency alert system.

(Reporting by Jim Finkle; Editing by Lisa Shumaker and Patrick Graham)


View the original article here

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Hackers warn of zombies on 2 TV shows of mich.

MARQUETTE, Michigan (AP) — No, zombies are not attacking Northern Michigan.

Two local television stations say hackers broke into their emergency alert system with warning Monday, zombie messages. Along with a crawl Strip, an audio message said "dead rise from their graves" and "attacking the life."

Posts by rides on public and WNMU WBUP station. Two Mountain stations also were hit.

WNMU General Manger Eric Smith says police have determined the origin is not local and may be from another country. He was not aware of any arrests and says that equipment changes have been made to prevent future incidents.

The Michigan Association of Broadcasters said its members about changes to avoid hacking. Association President Karole White says it is the first violation of the emergency system that is aware of since its inception in 1940.


View the original article here